Civil, Environmental and Construction Engineering The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina
Tenure Track Faculty positions in environmental, structural, construction and/or civil engineering
The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, invites applications for tenure track Assistant Professor positions in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Construction Engineering, which offers ABET accredited bachelor’s degrees in civil engineering and construction engineering; undergraduate minors in environmental engineering, structural engineering and construction engineering; and a master’s degree in civil engineering.
Faculty work collaboratively in a student-centered academic setting principally focused on undergraduate engineering education, scholarship and service. Engineering disciplinary fields of specific interest include environmental, structural, and construction engineering.
- Teach courses in civil engineering or construction engineering undergraduate programs during a 9-month academic year appointment.
- Teach undergraduate civil engineering or construction engineering undergraduate courses using face-to-face and online delivery instructional methods.
- Teach civil engineering master’s courses using online delivery instructional methods; opportunities based on interest and expertise.
- Maintain a record of scholarly activities including publications, proceedings, presentations, manuscripts, research, or other similar accomplishments. External proposals and grants are encouraged and attributed accordingly but are not required.
- Participate and lead consequential service initiatives benefiting students, The Citadel, engineering profession, and community.
- Demonstrate commitment to engineering education through participation in professional development including instructional methods, effective teaching and high-impact student learning practices.
- Mentor students and conduct student advising.
- Engage in department assessment and continuous improvement processes.
- Earned BS degree from an academic institution offering ABET accredited degrees in civil engineering, environmental engineering, construction engineering, or related engineering fields.
- Earned PhD in civil engineering, environmental engineering, construction engineering or related engineering fields, or enrollment with expected graduation date prior to August 15, 2024.
- Proficiency as an effective communicator and collaborator with students, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Serve as role model for Corps of Cadets, veterans, active duty, and civilian students enrolled in day and evening academic programs.
- Prior teaching experience and/or professional engineering experience.
- Registration as a professional engineer, or commitment to obtaining registration prior to application for tenure and promotion to Associate Professor.
- Commitment to The Citadel's unique role as one of six Senior Military Colleges in the United States.
Benefits of Employment at The Citadel
- Extensive Health Plans
- Great Retirement Options
- Tuition Waiver Program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Discounts
- Isle of Palms Beach Club
- Swain Family Boat Center
- Community Service Opportunities
- Read more about our benefits on our HR website
About The Citadel College
The Citadel, also known as The Military College of South Carolina, is a public institution of higher learning located in Charleston, SC. Founded in 1842, The Citadel has a rich history and far-reaching educational reputation. The campus is located near downtown Charleston, close to historic sites and major attractions, and is surrounded by a scenic natural environment. U.S. News & World Report College 2024 Rankings recognize The Citadel as the #1 Public College in the South, for colleges and universities with up to a master's degree, and The Citadel’s School of Engineering as the 23rd best undergraduate engineering program (non-doctoral).
2,300 undergraduate students comprise the South Carolina Corps of Cadets. 1 of 3 cadet graduates earns a military commission. Students may choose from 31 majors and 57minors. An 11:1 student-to-faculty ratio provides students with a quality education. An additional 1,000 students attend the Graduate College, which includes evening undergraduate and online programs.
Anticipated hiring date is August 15, 2024. Applications received by November 30, 2023 will be assured consideration; however, applications will be considered until positions are filled. In addition to completion of the on-line application, candidates are asked to upload the following supporting documents:
- Letter of interest addressing qualifications listed above
- Curriculum vita
- Teaching philosophy
- Contact information for three professional references.
Inquiries can be directed to Dr. William J. Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Citadel Office of Human Resources
Attn: Angie Rochester
Re: Civil, Environmental and Construction Engineering
171 Moultrie Street
Charleston, SC 29409