Assistant Director of General Education - INTERNAL ONLY
Job no: 496423
Work type: Full Time Permanent - Faculty
Categories: Office of the Provost
Applications are invited for the position of Assistant Director of General Education. The Assistant Director of General Education is a faculty position, compensated with a ten-month contract. The Assistant Director serves a five-year term, which is renewable one time. The Assistant Director’s teaching responsibilities are four General Education classes over the course of the ten months. The Assistant Director of General Education reports to the Director of General Education but retains status as a tenured faculty member within his/her home academic department.
The Assistant Director of General Education must be:
- A tenured (as of Fall 2023) faculty member with the rank of Associate or Full Professor
- An enthusiastic and articulate proponent of the General Education program
- An inspiring mentor, thoroughly committed to faculty development
- A participant in assessment who understands that assessment is key to sustaining a healthy General Education program
- A visible presence on campus, personally available to students and faculty during working hours
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Director will support the General Education Director on the planning, assessment and operation of The Citadel’s General Education program. The following are some specific responsibilities:
- Lead and coordinate program enrichment and high impact learning practices for students in general education.
- Working in coordination with the General Education Director and relevant department heads, schedule and staff the Freshman Seminars/ Freshman Writing Seminar and coordinates the General Education components of the Sophomore Technical and Professional Writing courses and LDRS 202.
- Working in coordination with the General Education Director, provides faculty development associated with general education.
- Responsible for coordinating and compiling annual SACSCOC assessments for all freshman and sophomore courses compliant to the plan developed with the General Education Director (i.e. freshman math, freshman science, FSEM, FSWI, and LDRS 202.)
- Lead creation of offerings and course scheduling for fall semester, spring semester and summer terms for freshman and sophomore courses in the General Education curriculum.
- Responsible for annual review of the SCCC and CTP General Education portions of the college catalogs.
- Assist with advising for cadet, active duty, veteran and CTP students in General Education including general education substitutions.
Upon selection of the Assistant Director of General Education, the Office of the Provost and the school dean will work with his or her home department to ensure that the home department will be able to maintain its academic mission.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend