Director of Advising
Job no: 496371
Work type: Full Time Permanent - Staff
Categories: Student Affairs
Payscale: Band 7
The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina is seeking a Director of Advising. This role reports to the Executive Director of Student Affairs and Academic Services. The Director is expected to work collaboratively and in accordance with The Citadel’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), which is focused on enhancing campus-wide advising services. The Director is also expected to assist in developing and implementing a strategic plan for campus-wide advising services for all students. In addition, the Director will assist in coordinating the assessment and evaluation of the QEP and campus-wide advising services and initiatives.
Programming, Administration, and Leadership:
- Designs, implements, assesses, and evaluates advising services initiatives for current and prospective students that include academic support services and guidance, the development of educational plans, exploration and assessment, and career planning.
- Collaborates with college administrators to assist in unifying a wide array of campus-wide advising services and initiatives.
- In partnership with the Academic Advising and Retention Council (AARC), the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) staff, and other stakeholders, develops and implements comprehensive advising services that have clearly outlined program objectives, action plans, proactive advising campaigns, and assessment strategies.
- Works with Information Technology Services (ITS) to assess, evaluate, secure, and implement appropriate equipment, software programs, support, and services that assist in the identification of students with advising needs and helps deliver effective advising services.
- Assists with the coordination of planning and implementation of student success programs.
- Provides and coordinates training and support, in cooperation with CEITL&DE, for all faculty and staff advisors campus-wide.
- Helps develop, coordinate, and leads the implementation of a student course registration strategy, to include training and cohort assignments.
- Assists with course registration.
- Maintains student records and data security and accurately documents student interactions in advising management system in accordance with FERPA and The Citadel policies.
- Helps implement annual student surveys to collect information on students' experiences related to advising.
- Assists in developing and implementing the QEP assessment plan and other campus advising initiatives.
- Writes and submits annual reports, to include QEP reports, relating to assessment and evaluation of advising and student success programs, services, and initiatives.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university and a record of progressive academic leadership experience in higher education.
- Higher education experience in advising and/or related academic support and student success programs.
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience working collaboratively across departments and organizational structures with students, faculty, staff, administration, and co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Available to work non-traditional hours, e.g., evenings and weekends, as required to fulfill responsibilities of the position.
- Experience in the development of advising programs and related initiatives, such as retention, informed by NACADA and CAS Standards for Advising.
- Strong understanding of and demonstrated experience utilizing student development theories.
- Demonstrated experience with Student Information Systems (e.g., Banner), and advising related software.
- Demonstrated experience with programmatic and outcome assessment.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for students through various activities.
Benefits of Working at The Citadel
- Extensive Health Plans
- Great Retirement Options
- Tuition Waiver Program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Discounts
- Isle of Palms Beach Club
- Swain Family Boat Center
- Community Service Opportunities
- Read more about our benefits, on our HR website
About The Citadel College
The Citadel, also known as the Military College of South Carolina, is a public senior military college located in Charleston, South Carolina. Founded in 1842, The Citadel has a rich history and educational reputation. With our current location on the banks of the Ashley River in downtown Charleston, you are close to great restaurants, shopping and much more. Ranked #1 Public College in the South (U.S. News & World Report, 2022) for schools with up to a master’s degree, the opportunities are endless.
There are about 2,300 undergraduate students who make up the South Carolina Corps of Cadets. Out of the Corps of Cadets, 1 out of 3 graduates earn a military commission. Students can choose from 31 Majors, 57 Minors, pre-health professions, and pre-law (a concentration in political science). The 11:1 student-to-faculty ratio guarantees students a quality education. Another 1,000 students attend the Graduate College, evening and online programs.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend